Amazing Benefits of Ghee ( Clarified Butter ) for your Body
Ohh, I remember my granny, churning out that delicious curd and handling me out that fistful ball of white creamy mushy super soft butter that I would lick and lick before it streamed down to my elbow. It had a special taste that is pretty difficult to find these days. And the remaining butter in that huge pitcher would go for preparing the Ghyo (as called in Punjabi) or the much tastier Ghee. Walking down the memory’s lane at times is soo refreshing!!
Many of us consider Ghee or Clarified Butter, as something that tastes great, helps in making lip smacking dishes, smells just alright, increases body’s cholesterol levels, makes us fat and what not.
But do you know that actually thats not true and infact, if administered in adequate quantities, it has so many positives that outnumber its negatives !!! Lets have a look at a few :
Benefits For Skin
- Natural Moisturiser : In case, you have an extremely dry skin, ghee can do wonders for you. Just before taking bath, massage the entire body with luke warm ghee and then wash off. You will be amazed by its super nourishing abilities, when you will see your super soft and glowing skin.
- Anti Aging Agent : Massaging ghee onto your skin on a daily basis ensures that your skin is going to be in great form throughout, without any wrinkles and even freckles. To treat freckles, mix some turmeric and ghee and apply once or twice daily on the affected area. This combo gives you a super glowing skin as well.
- Acne marks : To lighten marks, put a thin layer of Ghee, everyday on the affected area and then wash off. It will lighten overtime, on everyday usage.
- Treating Dark circles : To treat dark circles, put a thin layer under your eyes, every night before going off to sleeps and wash away in the morning after you get up. Your dark circle will vanish. Its also great for relaxing your tired eyes.
- Treating chapped lips : If everything else fails then this will definitely work. Just apply plain ghee or ghee mixed with a bit of salt and experience the softness. This would also help lighten dark lips.
- For skin diseases : Ghee is great for treating skin related ailments like Eczema. All one has to do is applying it regularly on the affected area and then washing it off, thus reducing itching and irritation.
Benefits for Hair
- Treating Split ends : Split Ends occur because of pollution, dryness, excessive use of chemical based hair products and inadequate nourishment. To treat it, just massage your head with luke warm ghee, leave it for one hour and then wash off. Repeat this thrice a week.
- Hair Growth : Ghee’s application would also stimulate hair growth and make hair smooth and lustrous. In ayurveda, everyday intake of half a spoon ghee with milk is also said to induce hair growth.
- Also, this is believed to strengthen memory.
Benefits for the Body
- Aids in Digestion : Ghee helps in the production of Gastric Acid that is required for digestion.
- Energy Production : Our digestive tracts produce butyric acid on digestion of the fibre we eat, that serves as a source of energy for the body. Now this butyric acid is readily available in ghee, that gets easily absorbed and provides a lot of energy. This acid is also responsible for a healthy and well functioning intestinal wall and digestive tract.
- Enhances Immunity : Butyric Acid also aids in the production of Killer T cells in the stomach that account for the immunity of our bodies. These cells kill the harmful cancer cells, any bacterially infected cells and generate antibodies.
- Weight Management : Ghee is one of the essential fats that are good for the body. If you are looking at weight loss, a spoonful of ghee is important because it helps in burning other harmful fats in the body. It helps in lowering the bad blood cholesterol and enhances good blood cholesterol.
And those of you looking at weight gain , must consume ghee with other high calorie foods. Eg : Consuming a tablespoon of ghee with a tablespoon of sugar half an hour before lunch and dinner, daily for a month can help you with results.
Ghee Vital Stats
It has a very impressive resume!! It contains :
- Vitamin A, D, E and K
- Omega 3 and 9 essential fatty acids
- Short , medium and long chain fatty acids – saturated and unsaturated
- Minerals like Calcium and Potassium
- Phenolic Antioxidants
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid
Safe Limit for everyday Ghee consumption
One tablespoon of ghee has 112 calories, 12.7 gms of fat and 7.9 gms saturated fat. Studies suggest that of the total calorie requirement for an individual daily, 20% to 35% of calories, should come from fats and not more than 7% should come from saturated fats. To explain this, if you consume a 1000 calorie diet , then fats must make up for 22gms to 38gms and saturated fats must not be more than 8gms.