Ghee makes everything taste better. It’s rich, flavoursome and offers multiple benefits to the body. To know all about that, continue reading ….
Ghee has been a very important part of the Indian cuisine and culture since ages.
I still remember my granny, churning out that delicious curd and handling me out that fistful ball of white creamy mushy super soft butter that I would lick and lick before it streamed down to my elbow. It had a special taste that is pretty difficult to find these days. And the remaining butter in that huge pitcher would go for preparing the Ghyo (as called in Punjabi) or the much tastier Ghee.
Ghee is often called the Food of the Gods. Do you know why ?
Because of it’s exceptional nutrition providing qualities. It contains an ample amount of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fatty acids which nourish body and promote health. It tastes great, helps in making lip smacking dishes, is extensively used in our rituals and has a varied usage as a medicine in ayurveda.
Despite all of this, it is attributed to increasing body’s cholesterol levels and causing weight gain.
Is that true ?
Well, If administered in adequate quantities, it has so many positives that outnumber it’s negatives !!! Lets have a look at the various advantages and benefits, it offers :
Benefits For Skin
- Natural Moisturiser : In case, you have an extremely dry skin, ghee can do wonders for you. Just before taking a bath, massage the entire body with luke warm ghee and then wash off. You will be amazed by its super nourishing abilities, when you will see your super soft and glowing skin.
- Anti Aging Agent : Massaging ghee onto your skin on a daily basis ensures that your skin is going to be in great form throughout, without any wrinkles and even freckles. To treat freckles, mix some haldi and ghee and apply once or twice daily on the affected area.
- For that natural glow : Mix some turmeric into ghee, apply this on to your skin and leave for 20 mins. Then, wash off. All the minerals and calcium in the ghee will get absorbed, into your skin, leaving it glowing.
- Acne marks : To lighten marks, put a thin layer of Ghee, everyday on the affected area and then wash off. The marks will lighten overtime, on everyday ghee application.
- Treating Dark circles : To treat dark circles, put a thin layer under your eyes, every night before going off to sleep and wash away in the morning after you get up. Your dark circles will vanish. It’s also great for relaxing your tired eyes.
- Treating chapped lips : If everything else fails then this will definitely work. Just apply plain ghee or ghee mixed with a bit of salt and experience the softness. This would also help lighten dark lips.
- For skin diseases : Ghee is great for treating skin related ailments like Eczema. All one has to do is applying it regularly on the affected area and then washing it off, thus reducing itching and irritation.
Benefits For Hair
- Treating Split ends : Split Ends occur because of pollution, dryness, excessive use of chemical based hair products and inadequate nourishment. To treat them, just massage your head with luke warm ghee, leave it for one hour and then wash off. Repeat this thrice a week to have lush and healthy hair.
- Hair Growth : Ghee’s application would also stimulate hair growth and make hair smooth and lustrous. In ayurveda, eating half a spoon ghee with milk everyday is also said to induce hair growth.
- Also, this is believed to strengthen memory.
Benefits for Body
- Aids in Digestion : Ghee helps in the production of Gastric Acid that is required for digestion.
- Energy Production : Our digestive tracts produce butyric acid on digestion of the fibre we eat, that serves as a source of energy for the body. Now this butyric acid is readily available in ghee that gets easily absorbed and provides a lot of energy. This acid is also responsible for a healthy and well functioning intestinal wall and digestive tract.
- Enhances Immunity : Butyric Acid also aids in the production of Killer T cells in the stomach that account for the immunity of our bodies. These cells kill the harmful cancer cells, any bacterially infected cells and generate antibodies.
- Weight Management : Ghee is one of the essential fats that are good for the body. If you are looking at weight loss, eating a spoonful of ghee everyday is important because it helps in burning other harmful fats in the body. It helps in lowering the bad blood cholesterol and enhances good blood cholesterol.
And those of you looking at weight gain, must consume ghee with other high calorie foods. Eg : Consuming a tablespoon of ghee with a tablespoon of sugar half an hour before lunch and dinner, daily for a month can help you with results.
5. Promotes Brain Health : Ghee enhances memory, nervous system and the brain. The saturated fats and cholesterol in ghee help the neutrons to communicate better.
Ghee Vital Stats
It has a very impressive resume!! It contains :
- Vitamin A, D, E and K
- Omega 3 and 9 essential fatty acids
- Short, medium and long chain Fatty Acids – Saturated and Unsaturated
- Minerals like Calcium and Potassium
- Phenolic Antioxidants
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid
Safe Limit for Everyday Ghee Consumption
One tablespoon of ghee has 112 calories, 12.7 gms of fat and 7.9 gms saturated fat. Studies suggest that of the total calorie requirement for an individual daily, 20% to 35% of calories, should come from fats and not more than 7% should come from saturated fats. To explain this, if you consume a 1000 calorie diet , then fats must make up for 22gms to 38gms and saturated fats must not be more than 8gms.